Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Picky about the surfers, but for a good reason


Melbournian Shane has hosted and surfed for two years and hence he has a lot of experience. He knows how to have the best time when being hosted or when hosting. He chooses his hosts carefully when he is planning his trips and expects the same thing from the other surfers who hope to get hosted by him. He makes it clear that being hosted doesn’t mean being served in the same way when staying at the hotel. He strongly recommends a surfer to think twice where he wants to surf, because the host will get something out of the experience, too. “If your in a rush, and need a last minute couch, it wont be me. Sorry!!” He says at his profile. He likes to be organized, because he has to work as well and his flatmates have busy schedules as well. 


He also wants the surfer to get the best experience possible. He would like to have time to show them around. Hence he likes the surfer to be thoughtful when choosing a place to surf, when sending a request and when actually surfing. “I hate when people don’t put any effort into their profiles nor into the messages they send me when the request to stay at my couch. I know there are lot of traveler using www.couchsurfing.com to save their money for more beer.” Shane says. He has a way to check who actually reads his entire profile: he asks the surfer who is interested in surfing at his place to include the sentence "I hope the washing machine isn't broken" within the request message. This is the way to see if he or she ever read my profile. I will definitely read the profiles of everyone who sends me a request. I do this because I have received simple messages saying "i need a couch tonight, all the hostels are full" He says and adds that he understands that sometimes that may be the situation, but most likely the surfer is too lazy to read the host’s profile. He has never had a really bad experience and no wonder why.

No comments:

Post a Comment